OPPORTUNITIES for 9-12 Grade Students
- Junior Volunteer Program – Students, 13-17 years of age beginning on May 8, will have the opportunity to give thier time volunteering at the Pinckneyville Community Hospital, while gaining valuable experience and opportunities. The summer student volunteer sessions lasts from May 8 through July 18 with a Pizza Party Scheduled on August 2. To become a Junior Volunteer, students along with a parent/guardian must attend one of two group orientations offfered at Pinckneyville Community Hospital:
Tuesday, April 6, 2017 at 6:00pm in the Hospital Classroom.
Tuesday, April 20, 2017 at 6:00pm in the Hospital Classroom.
Junior Volunteers will be required to complete a volunteer application and complete applicable health screenings. To register for orientation, please contact Jennifer Barbour at 618-357-8898.
- Summer Reading Skills and Speed Reading Program – Southern Illinois University Carbondale is offering reading skills and speed reading programs online this summer for Preschool through High School.
Program for Entering 9th-12th Graders
In these effective and enjoyable summer programs, your child will improve comprehension in both fiction and non-fiction and learn to read twice as fast. Students learn the best way to read and study textbooks and take notes. Your student will complete homework more quickly and easily and enjoy reading more.
For more information or to register call 1-800-964-9974 Monday-Friday 7am-8pm and Saturday 7am – 4pm.
- Engineering OPTIONS – The University of Evansville College of Engineering and Computer Science will host its annual UE Engineering OPTIONS Summer Camp this June. The Engineering OPTIONS for High School Girls summer career exploration program is a week-long residential opportunity held at the University of Evansville campus for high school girls currently in grades 9, 10, or 11 who have completed geometry. The program begins on Sunday, June 18 and concludes on Friday, June 23. Participants in Engineering OPTIONS programs will have a better understanding of what types of opportunities are available in fields most closely related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
The University of Evansville also offers The Engineering OPTIONS for Middle School Boys and Middle School Girls.
A registration form for each of the camps is enclosed that may be duplicated or addtional copies can be printed from our website at https://www.evansville.edu/options/.
- SIH Career Development course — available to anyone interested in gaining exposure to the healthcare field. This 6 week course will include: customer service training, resume writing and interviewing, career exploration and education, job shadowing assignments. This 6 week program is offered 2 times per year only (March and September). A schedule of classes, course outline and application is available on the Career Development tab at www.sih.net/careers.
OPPORTUNITIES for Students & Community Members
- Rend Lake College Adult Education HSE Classes — GED classes have a new name they are now know as HSE (High School Equivalency) classes. New class sessions at RLC begin every 8 weeks at no cost to the student. Changes to the the official GED Test include: computer-based test only, you must be 17 years to test, test fee is $30 per subject, must use debit or credit card, test must be taken at a Pearson VUE testing Center, four subject areas instead of five: Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, & Science, you may take one subject area at a time, $10 fee for each certificate. For more information call 618-437-5677 ext 1241.